The Honyouti Family Bookstore
We recommend the following books as good sources of information about Hopi culture, arts and history.
- Katsina: Commodified and Appropriated Images of Hopi Supernaturals,
- Zena Pearlstone, Museum of the Univ. of California
- Traditional Hopi Kachinas: A New Generation of Carvers,
- Jonathan S. Day, Northland Pub. (Hardcover)
- Kachinas: Spirit Beings of the Hopi,
- Neil David, Sr. (Illustrator), J. Brent Ricks, Avanyu Pub.
- Hopi Kachina Dolls With a Key to Their Identification,
- Harold S. Colton, Univ. New Mexico Press.
- Hopi Kachinas: The Complete Guide to Collecting Kachina Dolls,
- Barton Wright, Northland Pub.
- Clowns of the Hopi: Tradition Keepers & Delight Makers, Barton Wright, Northland Pub.
- A Guide to Hopi Katsina Dolls,
- Kent McManis, Rio Nuevo Pub.
- Kachina Dolls : The Art of Hopi Carvers,
- Helga Teiwes, Univ. AZ Press.
- Hopi Kachinas: A Postcard Colleciton,
- Cliff Bahnimptewa (Illustrator), Northland Pub.
- Hopi Katcinas,
- Jesse Walter Fewkes, Dover Pubs.
- Kachinas: A Hopi Artist's Documentary,
- Barton Wright, Cliff Bahnimptewa (Illustrator), Northland Pub.
- Kachinas: A Selected Bibliography ,
- Marcia Muth, Sunstone Press.
- Art of the Hopi: Contemporary Journeys on Ancient Pathways,
- Jerry D. Jacka (Photographer), Lois Essary Jacka, Northland Pub.
- Beyond Tradition, Jerry & Lois Jacka, Northland Pub.
- Hopi Pottery Symbols,
- Alex Patterson, Alexander M. Stephen (Illustrator), Johnson Books.
- Fourteen Families in Pueblo Pottery,
- Rick Dillingham, Univ. New Mexico Press.
- Talking With the Clay: The Art of Pueblo Pottery
- Stephen Trimble, School of American Research Press.
- Hopi-Tewa Pottery: 500 Artist Biographies,
- Gregory Schaaf, CIAC Press.
- Pottery by American Indian Women: The Legacy of Generations
- Susan Peterson, Abbeville Press.
- Prehistoric Hopi Pottery Designs
- Jesse Walter Fewkes, Dover Pub.
- Nampeyo and Her Pottery
- Barbara Kramer, Univ. New Mexico Press.
- The Legacy of a Master Potter: Nampeyo and Her Descendants
- Mary Ellen Blair, Laurence R. Blair, Treasure Chest Pub.
- Art of Clay
- Lee M. Cohen, Clear Light.
- Treasures of the Hopi
- Theda Bassman, Northland Pub.
- Hopi Silver: The History and Hallmarks of Hopi Silversmithing
- Margaret Nickelson Wright, Northland Pub.
- The Turquoise Trail: Native American Jewelry and Culture of the Southwest
- Carol Karasik, Jeffrey Jay Foxx (Photographer), Harry N. Abrams, (Hardcover)
- The Beauty of Hopi Jewelry
- Theda Bassman, Kiva.
- North American Indian Jewelry and Adornment
- Lois Sherr Dubin, Harry N. Abrams.
- Hopi Basket Weaving: Artistry in Natural Fibres,
- Helga Teiwes, Univ. Arixona Press.
- Modern by Tradition: American Indian Painting in the Studio Style
- Bruce Bernstein, W. Jackson Rushing, Museum of New Mexico Press.
- Shared Visions: Native American Painters and Sculptors in the Twentieth Century
- Margaret Archuleta & Rennard Strickland (Editors), New Press.
- Hopi Quilting: Stitched Traditions from an Ancient Community
- Carolyn O. Davis, Allen Dart (Editor), Sanpete Pub.
- The Great Southwest of the Fred Harvey Company and the Santa Fe Railway
- Marta Weigle, Barbara A. Babcock (Editors), Univ. of Arizona Press.
- Inventing the Southwest: The Fred Harvey Company and Native American Art
- Kathleen L. Howard, Diana R. Pardue, Northland Pub.
- Migration Tears: Poems About Transitions
- Mike Kabotie, American Indian Studies Center.
- No Turning Back: A Hopi Indian Woman's Struggle to Live in Two Worlds
- Polingaysi Qoyawayma , Univ. of New Mexico Press.
- Me and Mine : The Life Story of Helen Sekaquaptewa
- Helen Sekaquaptewa, Louise Udall, Univ. Arizona Press.
- Born a Chief: The Nineteenth Century Hopi Boyhood of Edmund Nequatewa
- Edmund Nequatewa, Alfred F. Whiting, Univ. of Arizona Press.
- Sun Chief: The Autobiography of a Hopi Indian
- Don C. Talayesva , Yale Univ. Press.
- Hopi Cookery, Juanita Tiger Kavena, Univ. Arizona Press.
- Paths of Life: American Indians of the Southwest and Northern Mexico,
- Thomas E. Sheridan and Nancy J. Parezo (Editors), Univ. of Arizona Press.
- Hopi , Susanne Page, Jake Page, Abradale Press.
- A Hopi Social History : Anthropological Perspectives on Sociocultural Persistence and Change,
- Scott Rushforth, Steadman Upham, Univ. Texas Press.
- Religion and Hopi Life in the Twentieth Century,
- John D. Loftin, Indiana Univ. Press.
- Orayvi Revisited: Social Stratification in an 'Egalitarian' Society,
- Jerrold E. Levy, School of American Research Press.
- Rethinking Hopi Ethnography, Peter M. Whiteley,
- Smithsonian Institutiion Press. (Hardcover)
- Coyote & Little Turtle:A Traditional Hopi Tale
- Translated and edited by Emory Sekaquaptewa & Barbara Pepper; illustrated by Hopi children, based on a story by Herschel Talashoema, Clear Light Publishers.
- Coyote & the Winnowing Birds: A Traditional Hopi Tale
- Translated and edited by Emory Sekaquaptewa & Barbara Pepper; illustrated by Hopi children, based on a story by Eugene Sekaquaptewa, Clear Light Publishers.
- Field Mouse Goes to War
- Albert Yava, Edward A. Kennard, Fred Kabotie (Illustrator) , Kiva Pub.
- The Butterfly Dance
- Gerald Dawavendewa, Abbeville Press.
- Spider Woman Stories: Legends of the Hopi Indians ,
- G. M. Mullett, Univ. Arizona Press.
- The Fourth World of the Hopis: The Epic Story of the Hopi Indians As Preserved in Their Legends and Traditions
- Harold Courlander, Univ. New Mexico Press.
- Hopi Ruins Legends: Kiqotutuwutsi
- Michael Lomatuway'Ma (Narrator), Lorena Lomatuway'Ma, Sidney Namingha & Ivan Sidney, Univ. Nebraska Press.
- Hopi Animal Tales
- Michael Lomatuway'Ma (Narrator), Lorena Lomatuway'Ma, Sidney Namingha & Ekkehart Malotki (Editor), Univ. Nebraska Press.
- Hopi Traditional Literature
- David Leedom Shaul, Univ. New Mexico Press.
Hopi History, Architecture
- Pages from Hopi History, Harry C. James, Univ. Arizona Press.
- Deliberate Acts, Changing Hopi Culture Through the Oraibi Split.
- Peter M. Whiteley, Univ. Arizona Press.
- Hopi Dwellings: Architectural Change at Orayvi,
- Catherine M. Cameron, Univ. Arizona Press.
- The Prehistoric Pueblo World, A.D. 1150-1350,
- Michael A. Adler (Editor), Univ. Arizona Press.
- The Hopi Villages (The Ancient Province of Tusayan),
- John Wesley Powell, Filter Press.
Look for other books on the Hopi Tribe
- Hopi Dictionary/Hopíkwa Laváytutuveni A Hopi-English Dictionary of the Third Mesa Dialect
- Compiled by the Hopi Dictionary Project, Univ. Arizona Press.
- Hopi Dictionary, Hopi - English, English - Hopi, Grammatical Appendix ,
- David P. Seaman, Northern Arizona University.
- Hopi Bibliography: Comprehensive and Annotated,
- W. David Laird, Univ. Arizona Press.
- Concise Hopi and English Lexicon,
- Roy Albert, David Leedom Shaul, John Benjamins Pub.
Katsina Dolls | About Ron | Ordering
Related Information | Links
Recommend this website to a friend!
P. O. Box 139
Hotevilla, AZ 86030
© 2002 Ronald Honyouti